The old refugee market with antique shops has become an attraction not only for antique lovers, but also for those who would like to eat and drink in the surrounding hangouts. Since 1930, the antique trading activities of Thessaloniki have been taking place at the northern end of Venizelou Street. The market was created by refugee small-scale traders, artisans and antique shop owners who, in 1928, founded the "Building Cooperative of Refugee Antique Shops Owners of Thessaloniki" in order to create an organized market of cheap goods for the needs of the time. They bought Ottoman properties at an auction and in an area of almost 1 acre, they built the ground section of the market based on designs by engineers D. Fylliziz and M. Reuben. In 1930, the project was completed, with 81 shops arranged in two encircling rows, one facing the exterior streets and the other the large internal square. Each shop has a small loft and a basement. The entrance of delivery vehicles in the internal market was made via the arched gate on Tositsa Street.
Between 1957 and 1963, three more multi-storey buildings, which altered in part the aesthetics of the ground-level market, were added to the complex. Today, many of the spaces have changed use, while in this once popular commercial neighborhood, contemporary entertainment venues have been established.