HELEXPO & Telecommunications Tower
Thessaloniki International Fair (HELEXPO) is part of the city’s character as, besides its annual operation that gathers mass crowds, it is a building complex with significant architectural samples in the city center. Besides, its operation was closely associated with the city's cultural life as, every year, it was the occasion for a large number of parallel events in this field. The TIF was established in 1925 and started operating in 1926 at the Field of Mars (area of the New Town Hall) in a building that has now been demolished. It was instigated by Nikolaos Germanos, mayor of Thessaloniki. By 1940, the TIF was geting more and more visitors and exhibitors. Because of the war, however, and its consequences, it stopped for 10 years. Since 1951, it has been operating continuously. The building complex which extended significantly until the 70s was a field of architectural creativity, and some of the famous architects who have worked there are I. Rizos, A. Konstantinidis, D. Kapsampelis, P. Tsolakis, A. Zannos, N. Valsamakis. The TIF witnessed the operation of the first radio station in Greece, created by the legendary Tsigkriridis (1927), as well as the first television broadcast in 1960. The premises has also been associated with the establishment of the Song Festival and the city’s Film Festival.
View here more information about the program of events.
THE TELECOMMUNICATION TOWER
When it was built in 1970 by architect A. D. Anastasiadis, it was an architectural expression of the desire of the Greek society to participate in the miracle of growth. During the first years of its presence on the premises of the TIF, people queued up to visit it. It was initially used for telecommunications and exhibitions purposes. At the same time, it served recreational purposed, as there was a café with a rotating floor that gave patrons the opportunity to see a panorama of the city, enjoying their drink. The total height of the tower is 76 meters. Over the years and with the change of the TIF to a more commercial direction, less people visit it, whereas extensive maintenance and refurbishment works were required.