The Roman Agora
The Hebrard plan for the reconstruction of Thessaloniki after the big fire of 1917 predicted the extension of Aristotelous to the north, to create a large administrative center. During the excavations (1962) for the construction of the city courthouse, the ruins of the Roman Agora (Forum) were discovered. The area was listed as an archaeological site. It was revealed that during the Roman period, the Agora stretched in an area of 5 acres and included services such as a documents archive, mint and a conservatory-meeting hall.
On its south side, there was a domed arcade, most likely used as a public warehouse. Attached to the gallery, there were shops which survived until the 13th century, according to the sources. At the southeastern part of the findings lies a complex of baths, which is particularly important as the oldest surviving edifice of the late Hellenistic city. During the Byzantine period, the area of the ancient market declined. After the Sultan invited the persecuted Jews of Spanish descent to come reside in Thessaloniki, it was allocated to them to inhabit.